WALLACE FIELDS INFANT SCHOOL & NURSERY -SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PRIORITIES 2016-17
CONTEXT: The staff and governors have been fully involved in the development of the school improvement plan. Every stakeholder is fully committed to improving the quality of teaching and learning and the following School Improvement Targets will ensure that we are working towards agreed goals. The children are at the centre of the priorities identified. There are 5 improvement priorities which are clearly written under the following OFSTED headings:
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PRIORITY ONE – OUTCOMES FOR PUPILS
To close the attainment and progress gap particularly in English and maths between boys and girls by the end of KS1.
- Closely track, monitor & review boy/girl data in English and maths half termly
- Include book scrutiny as part of half termly assessment reviews in English and maths to closely monitor progress of boys
- Include book scrutiny by all subject leaders to closely monitor progress and learning engagement for boys in all subjects
- Improve boys motivation across all subject areas by giving them more interest and ownership over their learning
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PRIORITY TWO – OUTCOMES FOR PUPILS
To ensure good and outstanding progress and attainment for all children.
- Closely track individual pupil progress half termly
- Include book scrutiny as part of half termly assessment reviews to closely monitor progress
- Update and evaluate pupil asset data regularly to identify individual groups/children’s learning needs
- Review interventions and high flyer files to ensure maximum impact on individual pupil progress
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PRIORITY THREE - QUALITY OF TEACHING, LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT
To adhere to all school policies and ‘non-negotiables’ to ensure the highest quality of teaching and learning
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PRIORITY FOUR - PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT, BEHAVIOUR & WELFARE
To ensure high levels of pupil engagement and excellent learning behaviours for maximum impact on children’s progress.
- Eliminate low level disruption in all lessons
- Improve marking to include regular deeper level marking, feedback and opportunities for this to move the children forward in their leaning
- Ensure an appropriate balance of teacher-child talk in all lessons, and children asking questions.
- Ensure mini plenaries are used in all lessons to make learning intention explicit for all learners & move children forward in their learning
- Improve the use of differentiated questioning to challenge all learners
SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT PRIORITY FIVE - EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
To make judgements based on the triangulation of data, teaching and learning observations and book scrutiny to ensure monitoring of pupil progress is robust.
- Create a new triangulation system to link the 3 key monitoring elements
- Coach middle leaders to use triangulation system effectively
- Improve staff awareness by involving teachers and teaching assistants in book scrutiny to track pupil progress